Your website is the online face of your company, so it’s important to make a positive first impression on your visitors. An outdated, ill-performing website can drive away potential customers and give search engines the wrong impression.
If your website has lost its luster and is in need of a makeover, Blue Compass can help. Here are 5 tips from our pros to keep your site up-to-date and up-to-speed!
From Drab to Fab in Five Easy Steps
1) Rejuvenate the skin. A full or partial redesign can make a huge impact on how others interact with your brand, company, products and services. Don’t be afraid to experiment with color, white space, fonts and texture. You’ll be amazed at the impact a facelift can make!
Pro Tip: Your brand is judged by its online presence! Ensure your website is perceived positively on every device by continually improving the design. While most organizations launch a huge new redesign every few years, it’s actually ideal to create smaller design enhancements every few months. How do you know what design changes to make? Keep an eye on your website analytics, and then focus on the pages that have the highest drop-off and lowest time-on-page from visitors.
2) Work out the kinks. Broken links, broken images and other site errors are annoying for your visitors, but they also hurt your site’s search engine optimization (SEO) value. Regular website maintenance is crucial to peak performance, so if something on your site isn’t functioning properly, FIX IT. It’s that simple.
Pro Tip: Golden rule for design, content, and code: Keep it Simple! Break things down into the simplest, most direct form to convey your message. In all three categories, less is more. Focus on getting the main idea across and then build upon or refine it, if needed.
3) Take a selfie. Nothing dates a website more than old, generic photos. The images on your site should complement the content and keep your audience engaged. And while there are several stock image galleries out there to buy from, there’s no better way to showcase your company’s culture, brand and employees than with the real deal. Say cheese!
Pro Tip: We love great photography! Hiring a professional photographer to capture the essence of your organization will boost your engagement and credibility. Stock photo sites are great for placeholder images, but the more you can personalize your website and brand, the better. Sometimes stock photo sites are utilized by multiple businesses and don’t yield accurate results. To give an example, here are some bizarre stock photos that we’ve come across while searching for our clients.
4) Drop excess weight. Large files and images can weigh down a site, causing page load speed to lag. The slightest delay can cause users to leave your site, likely finding your competitor instead. Websites come in all shapes and sizes, but nobody likes a slow one.
Pro Tip: One of the easiest ways to improve page load speed is to resize and compress images before uploading them into the content management system (CMS). Think about it like this: if you upload images that are larger than what will be displayed, there is a lot of unnecessary data transferred during page load. Once you resize an image, compress it to reduce the file size even further. Our team uses programs like optimizilla.com and tinypng.com to compress images because they’re fast and extremely easy to use.
5) Inner beauty matters. A modern website may be very desirable, but it’s important to remember that looks aren’t everything. A great site has depth and substance and is built on a great foundation. Showcase your company’s products and personality through fresh, keyword-rich content, meta information, image alt tags and schema techniques. Trust us — once your website is optimized, Google will come crawling!
Pro Tip: Optimize your web pages based on searcher intent! Long gone are the days of keyword stuffing web content and writing for bots. As search engines and consumers get smarter, web copy needs to evolve. At Blue Compass, we want each web page or blog article to provide information that users are looking for, and that can't be found elsewhere. This can entail providing a one-stop-shop for content that users previously had to use multiple resources for, or considering a spin that is not currently available for each topic. When writing your content, look at other things your readers might want to know about related to that subject and ensure your page or blog covers everything!
As digital design trends and innovations continue to evolve, it’s important to stay up-to-date on what users desire and search engines reward. Blue Compass is a team of digital experts dedicated to doing just that — staying on top of all things digital.
If you’re interested in updating the look of your website, undergoing a responsive redesign or creating new content or functionality, Blue Compass is your “makeover dream team.” We know what it takes to propel your website to the next level, attracting the audience you want to keep for life. Contact us today to request a quote!